Career Opportunity – Accounting/Project Controls Manager
Benga Mining Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary of Riversdale Resources Limited headquartered in Sydney, Australia is proposing to develop a steelmaking coal mine in Crowsnest Pass, Alberta, Canada, referred to as the Grassy Mountain Project. We are currently in the permitting application phase of the project and are planning an open-cut mine, targeting 4.5 million tonnes of hard coking coal per year over a minimum 25 year mine life and 385 full-time positions.
Reporting to the Commercial Director, with regular communication and provision of information to the Financial Controller (located in Sydney, Australia), the Accounting/Project Controls Manager is an integral member of the Commercial team. This role is responsible for the accounting function, including accounts payable, payroll, business and project controls, project accounting, commodity tax, budgeting and management reporting.
The incumbent supervises the Accounts Payable and Payroll Technicians and is responsible for developing and maintaining accounting principles, practices and procedures to ensure accurate and timely financial records. This position addresses tight deadlines and a multitude of accounting activities including general ledger preparation, financial reporting, period-end preparation and the support of budget and forecast activities. In addition, the Accounting/Project Controls Manager will play a key role in the upcoming ERP implementation of SAP.
In the construction phase of the project the role’s primary focus will be on Project Controls. As the project progresses into an operating mine, the role will take on production accounting responsibilities.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead, coach and mentor the accounting team
- Ownership of the accounts payable, payroll functions and related accounting processes
- Maintain accounting practices, processes and internal controls to ensure that reported results comply with applicable financial reporting standards
- Assist with the management of the month-end process including reconciliation of accounts, review of operations, investigation of discrepancies and related preparation of timely, accurate and working papers to support financial statements
- Ensure an accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and year-end close
- Ensure compliance with provincial and federal government reporting requirements, filings and related payments including, but not limited to GST and PST; excluding Corporate tax
- Provide reports to Senior Management
- Assist in the monthly, quarterly and annual budgeting and forecasting process
- Liaise closely with operations to ensure a strong understanding of Key Performance Indicators
- Integrate project-specific processes and controls within the overall business process, and control and monitor compliance.
- Oversee the project-specific budget, forecast information and revisions.
- Provide financial review of major vendor contract terms and highlight areas for cost reduction and/or risk mitigation.
- Summarize and report on project financial metrics to the project and business unit management and make suggestions for improvement.
- Provide data analysis and risk assessment information to the project and business unit management (i.e. foreign currency risk, counterparty credit risk)
- Provide leadership, direction, mentorship and support for the Project Controls team, which includes employees and contractors.
- Promote open and continuous communication between the Project Controls team and the Project Execution team.
- Coordinate activities with other functions (e.g. Accounting, Procurement, Operations, etc.)
- Review and provide feedback to schedule / interdependencies / durations based on construction / readiness activities
- Identify schedule challenges and assist with mitigation strategies to maintain the project schedule
- Professional accounting designation (CPA, CA, CGA, CMA)
- MBA preferred, but not required
- Project Management Certification or similar, preferred but not required
- Minimum 10-15 years of experience with progressive responsibilities in a senior accounting role, preferably in natural resources industry
- Minimum 5 years of supervisory experience
- Experienced with ERP implementations; preferably SAP
- Strong Microsoft Office skills; including Outlook, Word, and Excel
- Strong team player with the ability to conduct work with confidentiality and professionalism
- Ability to manage high workloads, work under pressure and meet tight timelines
- Ability to recognize process and internal control improvements where applicable
- Strong attention to detail with a high level of technical competence
- Excellent interpersonal skills; supervisory and customer service
Crowsnest Pass is a mountain community located two hours south of Calgary, Alberta. Crowsnest Pass has a population of 6000 and offers numerous services, including; a 24-hr emergency, acute and continuing care hospital, schools from kindergarten to grade 12, a sports complex, a championship golf course, major banks / credit union, restaurants and supermarkets. The area is famous for its spectacular mountain vistas and adventure tourism. It is a favorite destination for downhill and cross-country skiing, hiking, climbing, mountain biking, caving, fly fishing and hunting.
Qualified candidates are asked to create a profile and submit a cover letter and resumé electronically.
We appreciate that it takes time and effort to tailor a cover letter and resumé for a job application and will endeavor to respond to all applicants who do so.
Please note that prior to an offer of employment, all position-required credentials will be verified.