Career Opportunity - Engineering Manager
Benga Mining Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary of Riversdale Resources Limited headquartered in Sydney, Australia is proposing to develop a steelmaking coal mine in Crowsnest Pass, Alberta, Canada, referred to as the Grassy Mountain Project. We are currently in the permitting application phase of the project and are planning an open-cut mine, targeting 4.5 million tonnes of hard coking coal per year over a minimum 25 year mine life and 385 full-time positions.
We are seeking an experienced, detail-oriented Engineering Manager to join our growing team. Reporting to the Project Director, the Engineering Manager contributes to the overall success of the organization by planning, managing, and monitoring engineering functions. This position is responsible for overseeing various engineering projects, processes, budgets, and timelines and making any necessary adjustments in order to ensure successful completion.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serve as the engineering leader and technical expert
- Answer questions and resolve issues brought forth by the engineering consultants and Riversdale project team members
- Create detailed engineering plans, processes, and procedures for engineering staff to use and abide by
- Implement the document control processes for the Grassy Mountain Project
- Lead the development and implementation of the Project Quality Management System with input from consultants and Riversdale project team members
- Oversee budgets and timelines for engineering projects
- Coordinate the activities of the project engineering consultants to ensure timely completion of their respective work packages
- Check and confirm the accuracy of the work performed and the methods used by engineering staff
- Monitor contractor quality control activities and arrange appropriate quality assurance surveillance and testing for ongoing and completed work
- Engage appropriately qualified consultants to undertake various tests and quality assurance checks to verify the quality of manufactured equipment and products
- Monitor and determine staffing and training needs
- Spearhead various research and development initiatives to identify opportunities for new projects and improved processes
- Communicate and collaborate with other managers, suppliers, and contractors
- Prepare and deliver various engineering-related presentations, both internally and externally
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering
- Master’s degree in engineering management or business administration preferred
- 10+ years of engineering experience, ideally in a management role
- Analytical, and capable of evaluating and solving various complex problems
- Leadership skills necessary to manage and develop a team
- Organizational competencies and project management skills to keep projects, processes, and the entire engineering team on track
- Self-motivated attitude with the ability to multitask and thrive in a timeline-driven environment
- Interpersonal communication skills with expertise in distilling complicated topics to a broader audience
- Ability to work individually or as part of a team
Crowsnest Pass is a mountain community located two hours south of Calgary, Alberta. Crowsnest Pass has a population of 6000 and offers numerous services, including; a 24-hr emergency, acute and continuing care hospital, schools from kindergarten to grade 12, a sports complex, a championship golf course, major banks / credit union, restaurants and supermarkets. The area is famous for its spectacular mountain vistas and adventure tourism. It is a favorite destination for downhill and cross-country skiing, hiking, climbing, mountain biking, caving, fly fishing and hunting.
This is a full-time term position, expected to run a minimum of three years, dependent on construction progress. Qualified candidates are asked to create a profile and submit a cover letter and resumé electronically.
We appreciate that it takes time and effort to tailor a cover letter and resumé for a job application and will endeavor to respond to all applicants who do so.
Please note that prior to an offer of employment, all position-required credentials will be verified.