Benga Mining Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary of Riversdale Resources Limited headquartered in Sydney, Australia is proposing to develop a steelmaking coal mine in Crowsnest Pass, Alberta, Canada, referred to as the Grassy Mountain Project. We are currently in the permitting application phase of the project and are planning an open-cut mine, targeting 4.5 million tonnes of hard coking coal per year over a minimum 25 year mine life and 385 full-time positions.
Reporting to the Accounting Manager, the Senior Accountant is responsible for ensuring the month-end close-out processes are completed on time and that stakeholders' financial reporting needs are met. Duties will include month-end reporting, consolidation and forecasting, preparation of yearly statutory financial accounts, taxation reporting, general ledger reconciliations, preparation of internal and external audit supporting documents, and identifying continuous improvement opportunities.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepare, compile, and/or distribute internal financial statements, subsidiary journals, and journal entries prior to posting from subsidiary journals.
- Research and contribute to the development of general and mining specific accounting policies and practices.
- Oversee the cash call process with the EPC vendors and maintain / reconcile balances.
- Liaise with external auditors.
- Advise on a variety of internal and/or external requests regarding cost analysis and financial statements.
- Recommend and implement improvements to financial procedures and controls to maximize operational efficiencies.
- Investigate, research, and analyze information and issues related to internal accounting.
- Prepare technical documents to support decision making.
- Prepare technical reports and documentation and retain financial records to ensure compliance with industry and operational requirements.
- Communicate information related to cost analyses and internal financial statements.
- Provide information on operating standards, compliance requirements, and policies.
- Help develop other department personnel to perform duties listed above.
- Meet or exceed established performance expectations set by management.
- Professional accounting designation (CPA, CA, CGA, CMA)
- Minimum 10 years of experience in an accounting role, preferably in the natural resources industry
- Experienced with ERP implementations; preferably SAP
- Strong Microsoft Office skills; including Outlook, Word, and Excel
- Strong team player with the ability to conduct work with confidentiality and professionalism
- Ability to manage high workloads, work under pressure and meet tight timelines
- Ability to recognize process and internal control improvements where applicable
- Strong attention to detail with a high level of technical competence
- Excellent interpersonal skills
Crowsnest Pass is a mountain community located two hours south of Calgary, Alberta. Crowsnest Pass has a population of 6000 and offers numerous services, including; a 24-hr emergency, acute and continuing care hospital, schools from kindergarten to grade 12, a sports complex, a championship golf course, major banks / credit union, restaurants and supermarkets. The area is famous for its spectacular mountain vistas and adventure tourism. It is a favorite destination for downhill and cross-country skiing, hiking, climbing, mountain biking, caving, fly fishing and hunting.
Qualified candidates are asked to create a profile and upload a cover letter and resumé electronically.
We appreciate that it takes time and effort to tailor a cover letter and resumé for a job application, and will endeavor to respond to all applicants who do so.
Please note that prior to an offer of employment, all position-required credentials will be verified.