Benga Mining Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary of Riversdale Resources Limited headquartered in Sydney, Australia, is proposing to develop a steelmaking coal mine in Crowsnest Pass, Alberta, Canada, referred to as the Grassy Mountain Project. We are currently in the permitting application phase of the project and are planning an open-cut mine, targeting 4.5 million tonnes of hard coking coal per year over a minimum 25-year mine life and 385 full-time positions.
Reporting to the Senior Manager Safety, Health & Environment, the Safety Advisor is responsible for ensuring safe working conditions for all workers, sub-trades and visitors on and around the Grassy Mountain Project site. In this predominantly field-based role, the Safety Advisor represents Riversdale as an onsite safety authority, working in collaboration with various contractors to safely execute construction projects. The ideal candidate for this role will have demonstrated experience with continuous improvement in Safety & Health Management Systems, and in effectively addressing safety concerns, managing corrective actions, and ensuring due diligence to protect workers and the public alike.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Safety & Health
- Uphold Riversdale’s Safety & Health Management System at various work fronts related to the Grassy Mountain Project
- Work in cooperation with Project supervisory personnel to determine the appropriate resources required to perform work efficiently and safely
- Assist the Safety, Health & Environment Department with Contractor Management and Pre-Qualification by collecting and reviewing Contractor leading and lagging key performance indicators
- Lead internal investigations related to workplace incidents, near-misses, and hazard identification to determine the underlying causes and manage corrective actions
- Facilitate Joint Workplace Safety & Health Committee meetings, on-site inspections, investigations, and documentation audits
- Develop workplace training and facilitate internal training opportunities for staff and contractors
- Ensure contractors are performing work that meets or exceeds Riversdale’s Safety, Health & Environment requirements through detailed and ongoing site inspections
- Work in conjunction with the Contractor’s construction team to ensure the timely completion and submission of safety documentation including Field Level Risk Assessments, Hazard IDs, toolbox talks, site and equipment inspections, etc.
- Review Contractor employee integration into Riversdale’s Contractor Management System
Documentation and Reporting
- Perform documented daily site inspections of the worksite including work front, laydown areas, security perimeter, and emergency facilities
- Track safety discussion and interactions with Contractor personnel
- Prepare weekly summary reports to the Project Management team on Safety, Health & Environment issues, controls, and performance metrics
- 10+ years of work experience in the construction industry; with at least five of those years related to road building and heavy civil construction
- Demonstrated experience working with Alberta’s Ministry of Labour and Immigration
- Valid Standard First Aid and CPR with AED training
- Computer skills with experience using software such as Microsoft Word, Excel, and Power Point
- NCSO accreditation considered a strong asset
- Experience designing and delivering training considered a strong asset
- Exceptional understanding and interpretation of Alberta’s Occupational Health & Safety legislation
- Must possess a valid driver’s license with a clean driver’s abstract (i.e. must be insurable to drive Company vehicles)
- Comfortable working in various environmental conditions and rough terrain for extended periods of time
- Capable of multiple physical demands including lifting, hiking, entering and exiting equipment, and work around open excavations
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Attention to detail in all documentation
- Critical and independent thinking
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and organize work
Crowsnest Pass is a mountain community located two hours south of Calgary, Alberta. Crowsnest Pass has a population of 6000 and offers numerous services, including; a 24-hr emergency, acute and continuing care hospital, schools from kindergarten to grade 12, a sports complex, a championship golf course, major banks / credit union, restaurants and supermarkets. The area is famous for its spectacular mountain vistas and adventure tourism. It is a favorite destination for downhill and cross-country skiing, hiking, climbing, mountain biking, caving, fly fishing and hunting.
This is a 6-month full-time term position with the possibility of long-term extension. Qualified candidates are asked to create a profile and upload a cover letter and resumé electronically.
We appreciate that it takes time and effort to tailor a cover letter and resumé for a job application, and will endeavor to respond to all applicants who do so.
Please note that prior to an offer of employment, all position-required credentials will be verified.