Career Opportunity – Mining Engineer
Benga Mining Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary of Riversdale Resources Limited headquartered in Sydney, Australia is proposing to develop a steelmaking coal mine in Crowsnest Pass, Alberta, Canada, referred to as the Grassy Mountain Project. We are currently in the permitting application phase of the project and are planning an open-cut mine, targeting 4.5 million tonnes of hard coking coal per year over a minimum 25 year mine life and 385 full-time positions.
We are currently seeking a highly motivated Mining Engineer to join our Blairmore team. Reporting to the Senior Mining Engineer, the Mining Engineer is responsible for a broad range of mine planning activities, including but not limited to, the development and optimization of the life of mine (LOM) plan, the first five years plan, as well as short-term schedules for the predevelopment and initial production at this greenfield project. This role is also responsible for pit and spoil design optimization, input into feasibility study updates, equipment selection, economic evaluation and budget preparation.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepare engineering designs with safety at the forefront, while maintaining productivity and cost effectiveness
- Prepare both short- and long-term mining schedules, including the start-up schedule to first coal
- Prepare detailed pit and spoil designs, update mine development plans, and forecast mine progression
- Design haul roads, ramps and water management infrastructure (i.e. drainage ditches, etc.)
- Prepare capital and operating cost estimates
- Conduct economic analysis on mine plan optimizations
- Provide technical input into the mining operation from day one, including establishing procedures, processes and planning templates
- Maintain a clear focus on best practices in Safety, Health and Environment as well as cross-functional teamwork with internal and external groups
- Ensure regulatory permit conditions are embedded in the detailed mine design and mine planning process
- Prepare and compile regulatory reports and assist with technical reports as required
- Provide mentorship, coaching and guidance to team members, as the project ramps up and the team grows
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mining Engineering or equivalent (equivalent combination of education and mine engineering experience also considered)
- Registered with or ability to be registered with APEGA or equivalent, P.Eng or P.Eng-eligible is preferred
- Minimum 4-8 years of progressive experience in mine planning roles
- Previous open pit, truck and shovel experience is essential
- Previous mine design experience is essential
- Experience in Drill & Blast planning is an asset
- Mine operations experience is an asset
- Experience working on projects with multiple internal resources and external contractors is an asset
- Preference to those with previous greenfield experience
- Proficient in Deswik CAD and Scheduling packages or equivalent software
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, including Word, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint
- Valid driver’s license
- Able to think outside the box and implement industry best practices
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent presentation skills and public speaking abilities
- Able to make clear recommendations with solid justifications
- Capable of self-directed work, as well as group collaboration
- Highly motivated and excellent time management skills
Crowsnest Pass is a mountain community located two hours south of Calgary, Alberta. Crowsnest Pass has a population of 6000 and offers numerous services, including; a 24-hr emergency, acute and continuing care hospital, schools from kindergarten to grade 12, a sports complex, a championship golf course, major banks / credit union, restaurants and supermarkets. The area is famous for its spectacular mountain vistas and adventure tourism. It is a favorite destination for downhill and cross-country skiing, hiking, climbing, mountain biking, caving, fly fishing and hunting.
Qualified candidates are asked to create a profile and upload a cover letter and resumé electronically.
We appreciate that it takes time and effort to tailor a cover letter and resumé for a job application, and will endeavor to respond to all applicants who do so.
Please note that prior to an offer of employment, all position-required credentials will be verified.