Field Engineer/Technician - Civil and Earthworks
Benga Mining Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary of Riversdale Resources Limited, is proposing to develop a steelmaking coal mine in Crowsnest Pass, Alberta, Canada, referred to as the Grassy Mountain Project. We are currently in the permitting application phase of the project and are planning an open-cut mine, targeting 4.5 million tonnes of hard coking coal per year over a minimum 25-year mine life and 385 full-time positions.
We are currently seeking a detail-oriented Field Engineer/Technician to join our team. Reporting to the Engineering Manager, this position is responsible for the coordination of various civil and earthworks engineering projects, processes, budgets, and timelines and making any necessary adjustments in order to ensure successful completion.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serve as the engineering technical expert in Civil and Earthworks
- Answer questions and resolve issues brought forth by the engineering consultants and Riversdale project team members
- Follow and create detailed engineering plans, processes, and procedures for engineering staff to use and abide by in coordination with the Engineering Manager
- Follow the document control processes for the Grassy Mountain Project
- Assist in the development and implementation of the Project Quality Management System with input from consultants and Riversdale project team members
- Assist the Engineering Manager by overseeing budgets and timelines for engineering projects
- Coordinate the activities of the project engineering consultants to ensure timely completion of their respective work packages
- Check and confirm the accuracy of the work performed by Contractors
- Monitor Contractor quality control activities and arrange appropriate quality assurance surveillance and testing for ongoing and completed work in coordination with the Construction Department
- Assist in engaging appropriately qualified consultants to undertake various tests and quality assurance checks
- Develop Scope of Work and Construction Work packages in coordination with Engineering Consultants, Riverdale Contracts Department and Construction Department
- Consult with Engineer of Record to formulate responses and respond to Requests for Information (RFIs) submitted by Contractors in a timely fashion
- Keeping safety in mind, perform field reviews of site conditions to assure applicable RFI responses are practical, cost effective and technically sound
- Coordinate, participate and lead drawing reviews produced by Engineering Consultants
- Assist the Engineering Manager with development of project specifications in coordination with Engineering Consultants
- Coordinate Engineering Consultants through design to establish Issued For Construction (IFC) drawings
- Review Contractors’ turnover packages
- Audit Contractors’ Quality Control process and assist in developing and supporting Riversdale Quality Assure program
- Review technical documentation submitted by Consultants and Contractors
- Communicate and collaborate with Consultants, Suppliers, Contractors and Riversdale Team
- Assist Engineering Manager with preparation of various engineering-related presentations
- Assist Engineering Manager with Weekly and Monthly reporting
- Assist in developing project filing system in coordination with Riverdale Document Control and Contractors
- Review shop drawings
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Technical Certificate
- 5+ years of engineering experience, ideally in a field engineering role
- Experience working on projects with multiple internal resources and external contractors is an asset
- Analytical, and capable of evaluating and solving various complex problems
- Interpersonal skills necessary to coordinate with various project Consultants and Riversdale Construction and Operations groups
- Strong communication skills with expertise in distilling complicated topics to a broader audience
- Self-motivated attitude with the ability to multitask and thrive in a timeline-driven environment
- Ability to work individually or as part of a team
- Strong organizational skills
Crowsnest Pass is a mountain community located two hours south of Calgary, Alberta. Crowsnest Pass has a population of 6000 and offers numerous services, including; a 24-hr emergency, acute and continuing care hospital, schools from kindergarten to grade 12, a sports complex, a championship golf course, major banks / credit union, restaurants and supermarkets. The area is famous for its spectacular mountain vistas and adventure tourism. It is a favorite destination for downhill and cross-country skiing, hiking, climbing, mountain biking, caving, fly fishing and hunting.
This is a full-time term position, expected to run a minimum of three years, dependent on construction progress. Qualified candidates are asked to create a profile and submit a cover letter and resumé electronically.
We appreciate that it takes time and effort to tailor a cover letter and resumé for a job application and will endeavor to respond to all applicants who do so.
Please note that prior to an offer of employment, all position-required credentials will be verified.