Benga Mining Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary of Riversdale Resources Limited, is proposing to develop a steelmaking coal mine in Crowsnest Pass, Alberta, Canada, referred to as the Grassy Mountain Project. We are currently in the permitting application phase of the project and are planning an open-cut mine, targeting 4.5 million tonnes of hard coking coal per year over a minimum 25-year mine life and 385 full-time positions.
We are seeking an experienced Senior Geologist to join our growing team. Reporting to the Senior Manager Operational Readiness, the Senior Geologist is responsible for maintaining and updating the geological model, building processes aiding the start-up of this greenfield project, development of exploration programs, resource reporting and training and mentoring GITs.
This is an exciting position, allowing for the application of a diverse skill set.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Apply geological expertise to the resource model, loss and dilution parameters, coal quality information and ongoing exploration programs
- Design and implement programs (both technical and training) to identify, eliminate, or mitigate gaps in geological information to transition from a project to an operational mine
- Liaise with stakeholders including planners, regulatory, projects, operations and construction groups to deliver reliable geological information
- Coordinate and manage consultant and contractor activities related to testing of geochemical properties found in the ore body in addition to exploration activities and support the development of mitigation and management plans
- Validate and transition previous geological work, including databases and models, into selected software programs
- Develop, implement and improve standards and procedures relevant to the operation
- Contribute to technical advancement of staff in other groups
- Work with external technical groups for the advancement of geotechnical and waste disposal engineering
- Work in compliance with all Health and Safety rules and regulations
- Ensure all applicable regulations and guidelines are met for resource and reserve reporting
- Develop and mentor other technical employees, including GITs
- Assist in due diligence activities
- Bachelor of Geology degree, or relevant tertiary qualifications
- Presently registered or eligible to register immediately as a Professional Geologist with the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta (APEGA)
- Minimum 10 years of relevant geological experience in large open-pit mining projects, which include model building, model reconciliation, coal quality, blending and reserve and resource reporting
- Open pit metallurgical coal mining experience is considered an asset
- Coal Exploration Planning experience
- Ability to optimize drilling programs prior to and during implementation
- Experience of compiling details including available lithological information
- Ability to complete lithological, geophysical and geotechnical logging of coal and non-coal chips & core to provide quality data built into the geological model.
- Experience with geochemistry mitigation and management plan development considered an asset
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite, mining CAD software, geological modelling software and drillhole databases
- Valid driver’s license
- Effective communicator that is capable of understanding, anticipating and responding to the ongoing needs of the project as it transitions to a fully operational mine (i.e. strong technical, oral and written communication skills)
- Proven project management skills and leadership abilities, including skills in developing and managing the performance of young engineers and geologists, and building effective work processes
- Well-developed critical thinking, with an ability to apply logic to challenge assumptions and conclusions and make appropriate recommendations
- Continually seeking greater knowledge about geology and coal specifically
- Ability to work independently and contribute to a team environment
- Encourage and foster an environment of continuous improvement
- Strong technical report writing skills
Crowsnest Pass is a mountain community located two hours south of Calgary, Alberta. Crowsnest Pass has a population of 6000 and offers numerous services, including; a 24-hr emergency, acute and continuing care hospital, schools from kindergarten to grade 12, a sports complex, a championship golf course, major banks / credit union, restaurants and supermarkets. The area is famous for its spectacular mountain vistas and adventure tourism. It is a favorite destination for downhill and cross-country skiing, hiking, climbing, mountain biking, caving, fly fishing and hunting.
Qualified candidates are asked to create a profile and submit a cover letter and resumé electronically.
We appreciate that it takes time and effort to tailor a cover letter and resumé for a job application and will endeavor to respond to all applicants who do so.
Please note that prior to an offer of employment, all position-required credentials will be verified.