Career Opportunity – Safety & Health Coordinator
Benga Mining Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary of Riversdale Resources Limited, is proposing to develop a steelmaking coal mine in Crowsnest Pass, Alberta, Canada, referred to as the Grassy Mountain Project. We are currently in the permitting application phase of the project and are planning an open-cut mine, targeting 4.5 million tonnes of hard coking coal per year over a minimum 25 year mine life and 385 full-time positions.
We are currently seeking a knowledgeable Safety & Health Coordinator to join our Blairmore team. Reporting to the Senior Manager of Safety, Health & Environment, the Safety & Health Coordinator is responsible for coordinating field activities related to safety program development, construction, incident coordination, and emergency response. The incumbent will work directly with Riversdale’s Safety, Health & Environment department in strategic planning for the Grassy Mountain Project. This role will also interact with a variety of internal stakeholders including staff and contractors working in mine planning, construction, and operational readiness. The ideal candidate will demonstrate steadfast commitment to continuous improvement in workplace safety and health.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop and implement ongoing hazard assessment and controls for Project-related activities in construction and mine operations
- Perform detailed contractor pre-qualification analysis by reviewing performance indicators and assessing contractor safety programs
- Responsible for completing safety orientations, workplace safety training, and job site inspections and reporting
- Perform job site safety compliance inspections including hazard analysis, safe work procedures, written reports and recommendations
- Coordinate incident response including initial notification, reporting, and investigation
- Track corrective action completion and performance monitoring
- Coordinate the activities of other occupational safety personnel on the Project (Industrial Medics, Hygienists, Loss Prevention)
- Project planning and field coordination with contractors
- Provide guidance to field personnel via safety briefings, toolbox talks, and field inspections
- Review and update elements of the Safety Management System to ensure conformance to industry standards and both Federal and Provincial legislation
- Manage the scheduling and documentation of the Grassy Mountain Joint Workplace Safety & Health Committee
- Prepare and maintain materials, posters, presentations, etc. on safety & health issues to staff and the public
- Initiate emergency response procedures and provide appropriate internal and external incident notification in the event of an incident
- Diploma or Certificate Program in Occupational Health & Safety or related discipline (equivalent combination of education and mining or construction safety experience also considered)
- Advanced knowledge of Alberta’s Occupational Health & Safety legislation
- Three to five years of experience in occupational health and safety on active construction and/or mining sites
- NCSO designation preferred
- Advanced First Aid certification or equivalent
- Experience working with testing equipment (i.e. 4 Gas monitors, PIDs, fit test kits)
- Strong computer skills (Microsoft Office, SharePoint, and incident management software)
- Valid driver’s license with a clean driver’s abstract
- Strong project management skills with the ability to manage conflicting priorities and deliver on critical deadlines
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (this role may be required to speak publicly and engage with members of the public on occasion)
- Knowledgeable and experienced with the fundamentals of workplace health & safety management with a large contractor workforce
- Ability to interpret and apply technical requirements
- Comfortable interacting with internal and external contacts, with the ability to take initiative in building relationships independently
- Demonstrated strength in critical thinking and decisive action in high stress situations
- Demonstrated ability to work within a team environment as well as independently
- Comfortable working in various environmental conditions, inclement weather and rough terrain for extended periods of time
- Capable of multiple physical demands including lifting (up to 25 kg), hiking, entering and exiting equipment, and working at heights
Crowsnest Pass is a mountain community located two hours south of Calgary, Alberta. Crowsnest Pass has a population of 6000 and offers numerous services, including; a 24-hr emergency, acute and continuing care hospital, schools from kindergarten to grade 12, a sports complex, a championship golf course, major banks / credit union, restaurants and supermarkets. The area is famous for its spectacular mountain vistas and adventure tourism. It is a favorite destination for downhill and cross-country skiing, hiking, climbing, mountain biking, caving, fly fishing and hunting.
Qualified candidates are asked to create a profile and upload a cover letter and resumé online.
We appreciate that it takes time and effort to tailor a cover letter and resumé for a job application and will endeavor to respond to all applicants who do so. Please note that prior to an offer of employment, all position-required credentials will be verified.