Benga Mining Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary of Riversdale Resources Limited is proposing to develop a steelmaking coal mine, referred to as the Grassy Mountain Project in Crowsnest Pass, Alberta, Canada. We are currently in the permitting application phase of the project and are planning an open-cut mine, targeting 4.5 million tonnes of hard coking coal per year over a minimum 25-year mine life and 385 full-time positions.
Reporting to the Senior Manager Technical Services, the Senior Mining Engineer is responsible for mine planning from the project’s early stages through to ramp-up and operations. This position will be a key member of the mining operations group responsible for defining equipment requirements, equipment selection procurement, as well as waste management and water movement requirements. The Senior Mining Engineer is required to be a safety, health & environment leader, change agent, content expert and technical lead on the introduction and implementation of best practices, improved technologies, and methods of work.
To be successful in this role the incumbent must be a flexible and adaptable team-player who has had exposure to all aspects of open-pit mining, preferably coal. As a superior communicator, they must also have a successful track record in dealing with specialist contractors and consultants.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- During the construction phase, works closely with the Project Director on the location of facilities required to support the mine as an operation
- Develops and implements mine plans to support site-based mine managers
- Develops and implements longer- and shorter-term open pit plans; design shells, scheduling, forecasting and optimization
- Develops and implements mine planning standards incorporating regulatory guidance and industry best practices
- Plans and implements specialized projects required to support the work of the Technical Services group and broader organization
- Provides mining operations with technical support for resolution and tracking of project issues
- Coaches and mentors mining engineers
QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
- B.Sc. in mining or related engineering with a Professional Engineer designation in Canada and eligible for registration in Alberta or equivalent designation from a recognized regulatory body
- Minimum 10 years related mining engineering experience with demonstrated advancement into more senior roles
- Expertise in mainstream planning packages, preferably in Hexagon’s software suite
- Previous experience in both short- and long-term open pit planning
- Previous experience in managing open pit mining design shells, scheduling, forecasting and optimization
- Experience in open pit truck and shovel operations covering drill/blast, waste removal and coal mining and water management systems
- Proven track record in managing specialist contractors/consultants in the fields, such as geotechnical support, hydrology and environmental monitoring.
Crowsnest Pass is a mountain community located two hours south of Calgary, Alberta. Crowsnest Pass has a population of 6000 and offers numerous services, including; a 24-hr emergency, acute and continuing care hospital, schools from kindergarten to grade 12, a sports complex, a championship golf course, major banks / credit union, restaurants and supermarkets. The area is famous for its spectacular mountain vistas and adventure tourism. It is a favorite destination for downhill and cross-country skiing, hiking, climbing, mountain biking, caving, fly fishing and hunting.
Qualified candidates are asked to create a profile and submit a cover letter and resumé electronically.
We appreciate that it takes time and effort to tailor a cover letter and resumé for a job application and will endeavor to respond to all applicants who do so.
Please note that prior to an offer of employment, all position-required credentials will be verified.