Senior Manager Technical Services & Operations Readiness
Benga Mining Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary of Riversdale Resources Limited is proposing to develop a steelmaking coal mine in Crowsnest Pass, Alberta, Canada, referred to as the Grassy Mountain Project. We are currently in the permitting application phase of the project and are planning an open-cut mine, targeting 4.5 million tonnes of hard coking coal per year over a minimum 25-year mine life and 385 full-time positions.
Reporting to the Executive Vice President, Grassy Mountain, the Senior Manager Technical Services and Operations Readiness (Sr Mgr Tech Services) is responsible for Riversdale’s mine planning processes from life of mine to monthly plans and managing the technical aspects of the resource development as well as managing and planning the activities of a “Core Team” responsible for the successful transition from construction to operations. This involves working with the various functional leads to provide project management support and input into design to ensure the correct and consistent interface occurs between the Core team and the Grassy Mountain Project team.
The overall objectives of the Technical Services function are to optimize the development of the mineral resource; maximize the value of the asset; establish the foundation for a safe and productive operation; and attract, retain, and develop key team members. The high-level technical services scope of work includes:
- Data acquisition, interpretation, and model generation
- Resource and reserve estimation
- process controls for the collection, interpretation, analysis of geotechnical data
- Mine planning
- Resource development plan
- Life of asset (LOA) plan
- Five-year plan
- Annual budget plan
Key technical services systems processes and procedures include:
- Survey control
- Mine reconciliation - monitoring mine production performance against the business requirements
- Short-term planning and scheduling for process plant production planning as well as operating and capital costs planning
- Mid-term and long-range planning
- Metrics and reporting
- Problem solving and solution implementation for equipment and process problems
- Benchmarking delivery success as a means of moving towards "leading practice"
- Participating in annual budgeting; operating cost (expense) as well as capital budgets
- Cost control - reliably measuring the costs of Grassy Mountain operations activities which lead to improving performance
Ensuring the project is set up for a smooth transition into operations, the OR Core team engages with other stakeholders to support and coordinate the following:
- Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) set up and commissioning
- Safety Health and Management System
- Environment Management System
- Maintenance Management System
- Setup and deployment of operations contracts
- Production system Development
- Human Resource systems and process to address:
- recruiting, workforce ramp up, on-boarding and training
- Information Management systems commission
- Remote Operations Centre Implementation
- Autonomous Haulage System Implementation
- Management plan development
- Detailed strategy development
- Department-specific plans, procedures and work instructions
- Development of site documentation required for handover from construction to operations
- Active participation in Risk Assessments (including but not limited to Design, Functional Safety, Hazards and Operability Analysis (HAZOPS), Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA), Construction, Commissioning, etc.) with the project, operational and contractor personnel, including the on-time execution of improvement actions
- Actively engage discussions with contractors and project team on progress in relation to schedule
- Timely review of project documentation in accordance within allocated turnaround timeframes
- Actively participate in Operational Readiness processes to Technical Services
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering
- Minimum ten years related experience in mining, including five years in a related management role
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to engage, communicate and cooperative effectively at all levels of the organization
- Strong problem-solving / troubleshooting skills
- Excellent time management skills with a demonstrated ability to manage and prioritize various competing assignments
- Strong technical computer skills
Crowsnest Pass is a mountain community located two hours south of Calgary, Alberta. Crowsnest Pass has a population of 6000 and offers numerous services, including; a 24-hr emergency, acute and continuing care hospital, schools from kindergarten to grade 12, a sports complex, a championship golf course, major banks / credit union, restaurants and supermarkets. The area is famous for its spectacular mountain vistas and adventure tourism. It is a favorite destination for downhill and cross-country skiing, hiking, climbing, mountain biking, caving, fly fishing and hunting.
Qualified candidates are asked to create a profile and submit a cover letter and resumé electronically.
We appreciate that it takes time and effort to tailor a cover letter and resumé for a job application and will endeavor to respond to all applicants who do so.
Please note that prior to an offer of employment, all position-required credentials will be verified.