Reporting to the General Manager, the Senior Mining Engineer is responsible for mine planning from the projects early stages through to ramp up and operations. He/she will be a key member of the mining operations group responsible for defining equipment requirements, equipment selection procurement, as well as waste management and water movement requirements. The Senior Mining Engineer is required to be a safety, health & environment leader, change agent, content expert and technical lead on the introduction and implementation of best practices, improved technologies, and methods of work.
To be successful in this role the incumbent must be a flexible and adaptable team-player who has had exposure to all aspects of open pit mining, preferably coal. She/he is a superior communicator and has a successful track record in dealing with specialist contractors and consultants.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- During the construction phase, works closely with the Project Director on the location of facilities required for the mine loadout
- Develops and implements mine plans, engineering standards and guidelines to support site based mine managers;
- Develops and implements longer and shorter term open pit plans; design shells, scheduling, forecasting and optimization
- Plans and implements production programs
- Provides mining operations with technical support for resolution and tracking of project issues
QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
- B.Sc. in mining or related engineering with a Professional Engineer designation in Canada and eligible for registration in Alberta, or a CET designation and membership with ASET.
- Minimum 10 years related senior mining engineering experience
- Expertise in mainstream planning packages, preferably in Deswik
- Previous experience in both short and long term open pit planning
- Previous experience in managing open pit mining design shells, scheduling, forecasting and optimization
- Experience in open pit truck and shovel operations covering drill/blast, waste removal and coal mining and water maintenance systems
- Proven track record in successfully managing specialist contractors/consultant in the fields of geotechnical support, hydrology and environmental monitoring.
Crowsnest Pass is a mountain community located two hours south of Calgary, Alberta. Crowsnest Pass has a population of 6000 and offers numerous services, including; a 24-hr emergency, acute and continuing care hospital, schools from kindergarten to grade 12, a sports complex, a championship golf course, major banks / credit union, restaurants and supermarkets. The area is famous for its spectacular mountain vistas and adventure tourism. It is a favorite destination for downhill and cross country skiing, hiking, climbing, mountain biking, caving, fly fishing and hunting.
Qualified candidates are asked to create a profile and submit a cover letter and resumé electronically.
We appreciate that it takes time and effort to tailor a cover letter and resumé for a job application and will endeavor to respond to all applicants who do so.
Please note that prior to an offer of employment, all position-required credentials will be verified.